Balancing wheels - DIY

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Balancing wheels - DIY
From: "Steven W. Reilly" <luckyone@sentex.ca>
Date: Sun, 14 Dec 2003 19:51:41 -0500
Hello again,

Just to clarify a few things about my wish to try to balance my wheels at
home.  I did receive a few responses to my query (thanks to all who responded).

I've always tried to make or do things myself.  One such example is the
trailer hitch on my car.  I could easily go out and spend the $250Cdn on a
hitch; but I'd rather spend $50 on steel and fasteners.  The extra I could
spend on equipment.

I spent a while on my back looking up at the frame on my car (Yes, it is an
actual frame!) figuring out how I should develop my hitch.  In the end, I
produced a superior hitch which is similar in design but stronger than the
5,000lb one I was looking at.  The other hitch used four 3/8" bolts with
washers to attach to the frame, but I used 7/16 bolts with heavy 1/4"
plates inside the flat frame sections.  It is similarly "beefed up" in
other areas, with more welding and heavier metal.

Instead of purchasing the hitch, I spent the money on a used plasma cutter
which I then used to help fabricate certain parts of the hitch.  The cutter
cost me more than $200 but I have used it a lot more since then on other
projects and I am so happy that I have it!  My Migmaster 250 made short
work of the heavy welds required; I got it used for a steal!

I have access to a lathe, and figure I can create a very accurate "bubble
balancer" 'cept perhaps with a accurately machined center for 1/16"
wire.  I have yet to figure out how to put a "bubble" on this item
though!   I have seen a New aluminum bubble balancer before, but the cost
would have been about $150Cdn with taxes.  As I already have the aluminum,
it would cost me nothing to build a similar functioning item.

While several people have mentioned dynamic balancing, I have to wonder,
How were tires balanced in the days before digital modern
machines?  Persons seeking speed records certainly must have needed
perfectly balanced tires!

One person referenced a ON-car balancing rig.  This got me thinking of
another way to make my "bubble balancer.  Instead, I would create a
"spindle" which precisely matches the hub-centric wheels.  The spindle
would be of 1" threaded rod.  There would be a machined hub against which
the wheels would fit.The wheel would be held on the hub by a threaded
nut/large washer against the hub.  The hub would be tightened down to the
threaded rod.   At each end of the spindle would be small bearings that
would sit in a v-groove on a level stand.  If the wheel was heavier on one
side and it was spun, I would imagine that the heavier spot would usually
rest at the bottom if the bearings are "free" enough.

Problem with that idea?  Perhaps I wouldn't be able to get the clearances
tight enough for the threaded portions. Dynamic balance not achieved.

Again, Thanks to all who responded
Steve "I have the satisfaction I did it myself" Reilly
(P.S. Wal-mart quoted $9.50 to balance each of five wheels plus 15% tax)