RE: Re[2]: cedar siding problems

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Re[2]: cedar siding problems
From: "Randall Young" <Ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:22:06 -0700
> it's a horizontal, beveled siding that looks like traditional alumminum or
> vinyl except it's cedar.

Sounds like cedar "ship lap" like my last house (built in the '20s) had.

> > >i've been told not to pressure wash, as cedar is too soft.
>
> > The wrong
> > pressure/technique can cut a 2x4 in half.
>
> a professional painter told me not to pressure wash, but it's entirely
> possible that his experiences have to do with idiots with
> pressure washers.

When we hired some semi-professionals to paint the old house, they used a
pressure washer to blast off most of the old flaking paint, then waited
several days before finishing up with power sanders.  Didn't seem to do any
harm to the old cedar boards, although it did temporarily deflect them
enough to blow paint chips between them and into the walls.  Unfortunately I
didn't watch the work, so I don't know what kind of equipment they used.

Randall