cedar siding problems

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: cedar siding problems
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:05:23 -0400 (EDT)
i have a situation which was left to me by the previous owner of the house.
(for the purposes of this discussion, we will hereafter refer to the
previous owner as "the idiot".)

the house is about 12 years old, cedar siding. originally it was stained in
one of the usual brown stains. at some point, the idiot decided to paint
the house white. he did a slapdash job on the west face, part of the north
face, and part of the south face.

i'd like to strip the paint off and clean and stain the entire house (which
will admittedly take a while, it's a big house.)

at this point, the condition of the paint varies quite a bit. there are
some sections of the west face where it is flaking off easily, and other
much less weathered portions where it is on there pretty good. right now
i'm trying out various approaches on a relatively unweathered section on
the back porch; the paint is in particularly strong condition here so i
figure i'm working out my approach on the most difficult section.

i've been told not to pressure wash, as cedar is too soft.

i had little success using a deckwash product by itself.
i had more success using the behr "no 64 quik fix" product, but it's still
slow going.

i've been obeying the time limits specified by the products (30 minutes max
for both, pretty much), but am thinking that this stuff is tough enough
that maybe i should go longer.

anyone have any thoughts/clever ideas? (other than vinyl siding).

thanks in advance,
  richard
--
Richard Welty