Re: cedar siding problems

To: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Subject: Re: cedar siding problems
From: Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
Date: Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:50:36 -0400
>the house is about 12 years old, cedar siding.

What do you mean by cedar siding?  A relatively smooth surface would have
to be a lot easier than cedar shakes.  With something very irregular like
that, I would think you'd be out of luck.

>i've been told not to pressure wash, as cedar is too soft.

I have vertical cedar, tongue and groove siding on my house.  My painter
pressure washed it before reapplying a clear, tinted
stain/preservative.  Nothing terrible happened to it, though in one or two
places you can see a "stroke mark" from the pressure washer.  I guess it
helps if you know the right pressure and technique.  The wrong
pressure/technique can cut a 2x4 in half.

>anyone have any thoughts/clever ideas? (other than vinyl siding).

Invite some professional painters over to give estimates and advice?  Also,
there are a number of different tools used to remove paint, from sander
type to heat type.  I'm not sure how applicable these would be, though, not
knowing what kind of siding you have.

Good luck with the project.

-Steve Trovato
strovato@optonline.net