Re[2]: cedar siding problems

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re[2]: cedar siding problems
From: Richard Welty <rwelty@suespammers.org>
Date: Fri, 25 Jul 2003 00:21:31 -0400 (EDT)
On Thu, 24 Jul 2003 22:50:36 -0400 Steven Trovato <strovato@optonline.net>
wrote:
> >the house is about 12 years old, cedar siding.

> What do you mean by cedar siding?  A relatively smooth surface would
> have
> to be a lot easier than cedar shakes.  With something very irregular
> like
> that, I would think you'd be out of luck.

it's a horizontal, beveled siding that looks like traditional alumminum or
vinyl except it's cedar.

> >i've been told not to pressure wash, as cedar is too soft.

> The wrong
> pressure/technique can cut a 2x4 in half.

a professional painter told me not to pressure wash, but it's entirely
possible that his experiences have to do with idiots with pressure washers.

> >anyone have any thoughts/clever ideas? (other than vinyl siding).

> Invite some professional painters over to give estimates and advice?

i've had one look at it.

he favors just painting the house and moving on.

we kind of like the looks of the east side, the part the idiot never got
around to painting, and would prefer to regain that look for the entire
house if at all possible. with the exception of two spots, i can reach
most of the painted surface with ladders that i already own, so i can
expend my time on labor intensive tasks. (since times are slow in the
consulting business right now, i have more time and less cash than i'd
prefer.)

a couple of emails have included cracks about painting and moving, but we
bought this house 3 years ago in a low spot for local real estate prices.
they've gone ballistic since, so i think we're going to be working on
improving the house while plotting some future move years down the road.

richard
--
Richard Welty
rwelty@suespammers.org                                 Averill Park Networking