Generator advice

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Generator advice
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 16:27:13 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

I was wondering what sorta options exist out there for quiet generators in
the 3000 to 5000 watt range...

I've seen the Honda 3000 Mumble-mumble that has an inverter or whatever so
it only runs enough rpm to provide the power you need, vs. a constant rpm.
They seem pretty darned good, but I've heard prices in the $1600 +
region... :-/

Any other choices?  Any way to make one of the Home Depot 5500 watt
specials for $500 (or whatever) work?

I'm concerned mostly with noise, secondly with clean power.  This is for a
race car trailer, and I'd like to provide power to florecent lights, a
smaller compressor (btw, recommendations on a _minimum_ compressor
power/tank size for running an impact gun?  Has to be sized such that the
generator can power it...), etc.  _Perhaps_ also providing power to things
like a small tv/vcr, laptop computer, etc.

Any advice?

Mark