Roofing decisions

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Roofing decisions
From: Mark J Bradakis <mjb@autox.team.net>
Date: Thu, 29 May 2003 23:42:47 -0600 (MDT)
So finally I decide it is time to deal with the problem roof area, after
getting awakened by a relentless drip in the bedroom a few weeks ago.  Of
course, somehow circumstances arrange themselves such that the last two
days I've been up putzing with the roof, and the last two days have been
record high 99 degree afternoons here in Salt Lake City.  Forget sunscreen,
I should be covering myself in barbeque sauce.  Many layers of roofing material
present, both rolled and ashpalt shingles, covered with a layer of tar over
rolled roofing that is getting old and dried out. [1]

Anyway, I dig though the multiple layers of coverings on the roof in question
and find some badly worn planking in spots [2] but a lot of it still in decent
shape.  So should I just replace the bad areas of planking, cover with roofing
felt, then rolled roofing?  Shingles on such a low slope?

Or should I cover all the planks with, say, 1/2" plywood and lay the roofing
over that?  Or should I rip out all the planks, lay down some plywood and then
the roofing?  We're talking about a 7 x 17 foot area here, easily manageable
I hope, though I can certainly think of better ways to be spending the
weekend.

And of course, once the roof leaks are fixed, I can tackle the bedroom
ceiling and interior damage the leaks have caused.  What fun.

mjb.

1. http://fatchancegarage.com/roof1.jpg

2. http://fatchancegarage.com/roof2.jpg