Re: Generator advice

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Generator advice
From: David Cole <dgcole01@bellsouth.net>
Date: Fri, 30 May 2003 18:54:24 -0500
I have this one by Honda/Harbor Freight:
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=38863
Really happy with it.  It is not as quiet as the Honda EU series, but I
estimate it's about 1/2 as loud as a typical Briggs or Tecumseh powered
unit.  I use it in my race car trailer.  I have powered 3 4ft inside
lights, 2 500W outside Halogen lights, battery charger and 2hp air
compressor all at the same time.  Haven't tried the 900W microwave at the
same time as the compressor, but it will do the microwave and everything
else fine.   I usually put it in front of the trailer and I can carry on a
normal conversation at the other end.   The throttle is not automatic, but
if I only need the lights and battery charger I cut it back to about 1/2
throttle and you can barely hear it.   The link above shows $699, but I
bought mine on sale for $550 at a local store back in November.

It has two 120 V outlets and 1 240V outlet.   So,  I could use it during a
power outage if needed.  It's enough to power the fridge, lights and the
hot water heater (by itself).  That was the advantage that sold my on this
larger one vs the EU 1000 or EU 2000 .  The EU 3000 would be nice and could
power the house essentials, but it's out of my price range at $1600+

David Cole