Re: Generator advice

To: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Subject: Re: Generator advice
From: nick brearley <nick@landform.co.uk>
Date: Sat, 31 May 2003 07:35:01 +0100
At 16:27 30/05/03 -0400, you wrote:

>Howdy,
>
>I was wondering what sorta options exist out there for quiet generators in
>the 3000 to 5000 watt range...
>
>I've seen the Honda 3000 Mumble-mumble that has an inverter or whatever so
>it only runs enough rpm to provide the power you need, vs. a constant rpm.
>They seem pretty darned good, but I've heard prices in the $1600 +
>region... :-/
>
>Any other choices?  Any way to make one of the Home Depot 5500 watt
>specials for $500 (or whatever) work?
>
>I'm concerned mostly with noise, secondly with clean power.  This is for a
>race car trailer, and I'd like to provide power to florecent lights, a
>smaller compressor (btw, recommendations on a _minimum_ compressor
>power/tank size for running an impact gun?  Has to be sized such that the
>generator can power it...), etc.  _Perhaps_ also providing power to things
>like a small tv/vcr, laptop computer, etc.
>
>Any advice?

Mark,

As others said the Honda EU range is the way forward for quietness and
seductive packaging. I use the EU10i rated at 900w but adequate for a 4="
angle grinder, drill or DeWalt 240v impact gun as well as having a clean
enough output to charge cordless tool batteries.

If you want small scale air look at  http://www.12-voltair.com/12-Vol.htm .
I've only seen them on a stand at a farm show but they reckon to be able to
drive a half inch impact gun as long as you fit a tank.

If money is no concern (!) look at the setup
on  http://www.quaife.co.uk/product/power.htm .

Nick Brearley