Re: Air Compressors -- Blast Cabinets

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Air Compressors -- Blast Cabinets
From: "Mark Watson" <watsonm05@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 23:53:55 -0400
Hi everyone,

    A couple of years ago I built a blast cabinet using the Tiptools plans.
Like everyone else I made some modifications but mostly to suit the
available materials.  For example, I found some nice simple but cheap brass
latches for the door, used some leftover foam strips for sealing the door,
window, and dump hatch, used tinted glass for the window (free from my
sister-in-law - it was scavenged from a music store), etc.  The legs are old
bed frames and the whole unit is painted medium grey (leftover floor paint).

    It works quite well but I haven't been able to use it for a couple of
years as my garage still hasn't recovered from our move here (3 years
ago!!!).  In fact just this week I finally got my big old compressor into
the shed I built for it and will finally have a decent supply of compressed
air to run the darn thing.

    I think someone asked about using a pressure blaster in a blast cabinet.
Well, I happen to have a TIP 99er pressure blaster also.  I blasted the
front part of the frame on my project car with it (using a NON-silicon based
blast media) and it worked quite well.  However, even with their 38 Special
tip with the smallest tip available it would suck down my compressor fairly
quickly.  That being said, I don't see why it wouldn't work in a blast
cabinet but the siphon fed TIP unit in my blast cabinet worked for the types
of items I blasted in the cabinet.  Also, for my pressure blaster, changing
the media is a bit of a challenge while changing the media in the blast
cabinet with the built-in media capture well where the siphon pick-up tube
lives is much easier - just put a sufficiently large container under the
dump door, open the door to dump, shut the door and dump the new media into
the media well through the side door.

    One thing about the blast cabinet - the idea of putting resist on the
back wall is excellent.  I'm going to try to come up with something like
that for my cabinet.  Whoever suggested it - thanks (sorry I didn't save
your message to get your name).

    Also, thanks to Randall Young for the discussion and link about SCFM
versus CFM.  An old mystery cleared up.

Mark Watson
1956 Daimler Regency Mk II '104' ("The Big 'D'" - patiently waiting
attention)
1965 Ford Falcon ("Georgie", daily driver)
various other motorized transport pods