Re: Bullseye Pick

To: Diane and Roland Dudley <csx2282@juno.com>
Subject: Re: Bullseye Pick
From: Steve Shipley <shiples@attbi.com>
Date: Thu, 17 Apr 2003 20:51:37 -0700
 I've taken several of Ron Covell's classes and I've purchased and used
the bullseye pick.
You file the area you are "bumping" which locates the low spots.  The
bullseye pick allows
you to pick up the low spots with a high degree of precision (if you
have the clearance!)
Filing only the picked areas quickly creates a smooth surface that needs
NO filler.
The demo that Ron did was impressive.  He took a mallet to an old Ford
fender and
made a couple of  2-3 inch dents.  He then took 'em out allmost as fast
as he put 'em in.

When I try this technique it works but not with the ease of the expert.
 And when you
get into larger areas or more severe damage it gets a lot harder.  Like
a lot of this stuff,
the experts make it look easy.

I guess I'll have to give Ron a plug.  He writes a column called
Professor Hammer in
Street Rodder magazine.  He's pretty good about answering questions via
email.

 His classes are are a lot of fun and generally held in different
fabricators shops around the
US.  The last class I attended was in an artist/hot rodder's studio in
Northern California.
I can't adequately describe the shop other than to note that it had a 3D
wood carving machine
the size of a one-car garage.  Some of the students drove some pretty
impressive cars.
When we went to lunch, I rode in a vintage '32 Ford HighBoy that had
been driven down
from Oregon.  Since Ron is so good about sharing information, he's
turned me into a very
loyal customer.

Steve Shipley
Seattle WA