RE: Two items (HVAC Ducting and follup to Screws)

To: Shop Talk <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Two items (HVAC Ducting and follup to Screws)
From: Randall Young <ryoung@navcomtech.com>
Date: Tue, 18 Mar 2003 11:33:12 -0800
> Kai M. Radicke wrote:
>  > Phil Ethier wrote:
>  >>Hot air rises.  Why is that thing in the ceiling?
>  >>Not what we generally see here in Minnesota, where such
>  >>vents are usually near the floor.
>
> Regional differences are interesting for sure.  In California, the
> ceiling register is normal because cooling is needed more than heat.

Oddly enough, my home here in SoCA has the vents in the interior walls, with
short vertical ducts inside the walls to the attic.  Was never equipped with
central A/C, and of course for best heat distribution the vents should be
near the outside walls, so I have no idea why it was done that way.  There's
a lot of other strange things in the house, my guess is that the architect
was simply incompetent (if the builder even used an architect).  I have
several rooms with the light switch in a different room ... and although the
house has been modified, one of those is apparently original!

Any comments on the pitfalls of using the space between ceiling joists as
HVAC ducts ?  I want to improve register placement, but still be able to
crawl through the attic.  (At the moment they would be for heating only, but
I also plan to upgrade to central A/C someday.)

Randall