Re: Two items (HVAC Ducting and follup to Screws)

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Two items (HVAC Ducting and follup to Screws)
From: Matt <mattmahony@attbi.com>
Date: Mon, 17 Mar 2003 11:48:07 -0800
Hi Kai;

Kai M. Radicke wrote:

> Next question, last fall I contracted with a local firm to install a
> complete forced air HVAC system in my 50 year old house.
X I can't figure out why they installed each of the register openings
> perpendicular to the axis of the
> adjacent walls.  Quick picture of the installation on one of the walls...
> http://astro.temple.edu/~kmr/images/duct.jpg
> I can't figure out why you would want to blow 50% of the air coming through
> the duct at the wall itself, epecially a wall whose overall area is about
> 70% glass window and door space.

Looking at the picture, I think I see a register with 2 grilles aimed
180 degrees from each other, blowing parallel to the exterior wall.
Correct me if this is wrong.

You generally want the air flow to "wash down" the exterior wall and not
directly into the conditioned space as that's where objectionable drafts
come from.  Your biggest heat gain or loss is through exterior walls and
windows. The "usual" way to mount ceiling registers for forced air
heat/cool systems is a 2 way with the long axis parallel to the exterior
  wall and the vanes 180 from each other and directing the air along the
wall. It does seem a bit far out into the room and a low pitch or
obstructions in the attic could account for this. But it's not the type
register/boot I would normally use in this application. Depending on CFM
I would expect to see a 6X12, 6X14 or similar.

Having said that, there may be reasons why this is set up like it is,
and I would ask the contractor.  There are plenty of ways to set up a
system but a competent contractor will explain the design to you
and show you the best way to operate it.  I used to do a 20 minute demo
for customers just on Honeywell programmable thermostats. :-}

If he can't or won't explain it to you, get very suspicious. Poor
installations cause more problems and complaints than all other causes
combined.

Cheers
Matt Mahoney

Some day I'm going to get me a sig file.