Re: Slightly OT - Adjusting Hydraulic Valves

To: wolfe@cisco.com
Subject: Re: Slightly OT - Adjusting Hydraulic Valves
From: Donald H Locker <dhl@chelseamsl.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 19:24:43 -0500 (EST)
The real issue is that as you rotate the engine, each lifter is put
into a loaded position, and leaks down.  So, by the time you are ready
to start the engine, they are all collapsed.  Immediately the oil
pressure comes up, each is pumped up and all valves are held open.

[amateur alert] When I had to do this (VERRRY many years ago) I picked
a pair of lifters on the base circle (IIRC, engine was at TDC firing
for #1 and I used those valves), screwed on the nuts until they just
touched the valve tips and pushrods, then put all the other nuts on to
the same depth.  Rattled like a can full of marbles, but it started.
And spritzed/splashed/threw oil everywhere.  I then screwed each nut
down until it stopped rattling with the engine running.  (I put a
valve cover on the left bank while I tweezled the right and
vice-versa.)  Then I shut down and added the 1-1/2 turns.  Creature
ran for a long time afterward.

HTH,
Donald.

> From: "Bruce Wolfe \(wolfe\)" <wolfe@cisco.com>
> Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:10:08 -0600
>

> Tim, I think you are mostly right, but I didn't THINK (realize) I was
> pushing them down.
>
> For anyone who cares, I think my problem may have been that I had a
> pre-load on all the valves and it took me to long to finally adjust
> them. By the time I did, and with various rotations of the crank, all
> the oil had been forced from the lifter and they had all collapsed. What
> follows is the logic that lead me to that conclusion. Along with my
> current plan to proceed.

[snip]