Slightly OT - Adjusting Hydraulic Valves

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Slightly OT - Adjusting Hydraulic Valves
From: "Bruce Wolfe \(wolfe\)" <wolfe@cisco.com>
Date: Mon, 13 Jan 2003 13:06:20 -0600
I need to tap the collective wisdom here. I've never had to set the
valves on a car (1994 Camaro, 3.4L V6) with hydraulic lifters. Here's
the scenario:

I had a leaking head gasket, so tore the motor down to the block, shaved
heads, new exhaust valves, valve job, etc. Built it back up using a
Chilton's repair manual. It said to adjust the valves to zero lash
(compression stroke) then ADD 1.5 turns to preload the lifter. Did that,
finished the assembly, cranked her over - NOTHING. The engine just spins
easily. Like no compression. So I test two cylinders and sure enough, no
compression. I remembered good compression while rotating the engine to
adjust the valves in the first place. Hmmmm.

So I tear back down to the valves and do a pseudo leak-down test. I can
easily blow into each cylinder. Back off the valves (when the cylinder
is at TDC) and I can hear the cylinder seal back up. Add as little as
1/8th of a turn on the valve and it opens back up, air flows easily!

The car is acting more like it has solid lifters than hydraulic
(possible, it is pre-owned, but not likely). Could the springs on every
lifter be broken an the lifters all collapsed?? I'd prefer NOT to take
the intake manifold off, but if I have to to check the lifters, I will.

Suggestion? I'm stumped. But then, I've never had a car with hydraulic
lifters before.

Replies off-line gratefully appreciated.

Thanks,

Bruce Wolfe