RE: Slightly OT - Adjusting Hydraulic Valves

To: <wolfe@cisco.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Slightly OT - Adjusting Hydraulic Valves
From: <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 14:16:06 -0500
Bruce Wolfe (wolfe) [mailto:wolfe@cisco.com] wrote"

> It said to adjust the valves to zero lash (compression stroke) then
> ADD 1.5 turns to preload the lifter. <...>
>
> The car is acting more like it has solid lifters than hydraulic
> (possible, it is pre-owned, but not likely). Could the springs on every
> lifter be broken an the lifters all collapsed?? I'd prefer NOT to take
> the intake manifold off, but if I have to to check the lifters, I will.

Assuming that by setting it to zero lash you kept "rocking" the rockers,
as you adjusted them closed, with a light touch and stopped when any
clearance disappeared.  This would allow the spring in the lifters to
"uncollapse" the lifter.  Then the additional 1.5 turns would compress
the lifter to part way between the collapsed and the fully "open" positions.

If you were pushing the lifters "down" while adjusting to zero lash, then
you were manually collapsing the lifters.  The additional 1.5 turns would
then keep the valves from closing.  If this is not the case, then you either
have solid lifters, or they are all collapsed.  In either case, you may need
to get a look at the lifters...

Tim Mullen