RE: Slightly OT - Adjusting Hydraulic Valves

To: <wolfe@cisco.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Slightly OT - Adjusting Hydraulic Valves
From: <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Tue, 14 Jan 2003 16:51:33 -0500
Ahhh...  One of the previous suggestions was to get the oil "clips" and adjust
the engine while it is running.  This might be the easiest way to proceed.

The "clips" go on each rocker to keep the oil from splashing in your face
while the engine is running.

To do the procedure, you remove one valve cover (if I remember it's a V6
- or was it a V8...)  Next step is to attach the clips to each rocker such
that it blocks the oil from spraying all over the place (and in you face).

Then with the engine running, you simply go to each rocker, one at a time,
and back off the adjuster until it starts "ticking".  That's the point that
positive lash (a gap, "slop" ) in the valve train.  Slowly tighten the
valve until the ticking stops - that's the zero lash point.  Then turn the
adjuster the 1.5 turns.  This puts the lifter somewhere in the middle of
it's range, so the 1.5 turn doesn't have to be exactly perfect, just
close.  You repeat this process for each valve on the one side.

Then install the valve cover.  Then start over and do it again on the other
side.

It's been years since I've had to do this to an engine (a small block Ford
the last time), but it works very well.  It can be messy depending on the
engine and how much of a "lip" the bottom edge of the head has (where the
valve cover seats).  Sometimes, some of the oil will "spill" over the sides
of the head and down the engine.  Lots of rags help.  People that have to
do this often have even been known to get an extra valve cover and drill
the proper size holes in the top so that the socket can be inserted to
adjuster the rockers.  It tends to keep the oil in the engine better that
way...

By the way, the above procedure was actually the factory recommended
method for many cars....

It really does sound like a better way than starting the engine between
each valve adjustment.  Besides, the valve lifters will expand with oil
pressure.  Once you shut off the engine, there is no more pressure, and
backing off the adjuster will not allow the lifter to expand any more than
it will just simply be backing off all the lifters at once.