Re: Diesels on ether -- was trickle chargers

To: Steve Dillen <sdillen@telus.net>
Subject: Re: Diesels on ether -- was trickle chargers
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 22:15:18 -0500
Steve Dillen wrote:
> Nearly everyone I've ever talked to about that engine said that using ether
> caused premature wear (we're talking about a quick squirt -- not washing
> down the cylinder walls here) in the engine.  I've never bought the story,
> but also didn't have any facts to the contrary. . .so basically have always
> kept my mouth shut.

   I've used it extensively on british cars, snowblowers, snowmobiles,
lawnmowers, basically anything that has a carb and sometimes needs to
start in the cold.

   I'm a little scared of using it on anything with electronic fuel
injection, prirmary because of the backfiring.

   Starting a stubborn engine on ether of any size can often cause a
backfire, and I'd be worried about air flow sensors and such in the
intake tubing. There are two types of air flow sensors that I have
worked with, and both seem pretty fragile!

   Thankfully, I've never had to try, if it's EFI, it just starts. ;>

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca