Help identifying chuck key?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Help identifying chuck key?
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Sun, 15 Dec 2002 01:35:52 -0500 (EST)
Howdy,

Not really _exactly_ on topic, but kinda related.

I have an unknown origin 5-20mm drill chuck that I need to get a key for.
I tried an enco 4 way large master key and came up empty.  As near as I
can figure (by cross referencing Jacobs chuck model #'s to what the key
supposedly supports), the master key has a K2, K3, K4, and K32 key.  The
K3 (second largest) fits my Jacobs No 34 drill chuck.

That K3 key is too small for the unknown chuck, both in terms of the pin
diameter and the 'gear' size.  The largest key on the master (K2?), seems
to have the correct gear size, but the pin diameter is slightly too large.

Anyone know how chuck keys work and where I can get dimensions?  Looking
around the web hasn't turned anything up.

Thanks!

Mark