Diesels on ether -- was trickle chargers

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Diesels on ether -- was trickle chargers
From: "Steve Dillen" <sdillen@telus.net>
Date: Tue, 10 Dec 2002 12:54:39 -0800
I've heard lots of horror stories (myths???) about the damage that ether
does to engines.  Is there any substance to the stories?  The boat I used to
crew on has (well, had, it finally wore out and died) an old Volvo 2 cyl
diesel that didn't have any pre-heat mechanism.  In the winter, it was
nearly impossible to start without a shot of ether.  Later in its life (20
some odd years old), it had such poor compression that it wouldn't even
start in the summer without a squirt.  It ultimately died (worn rings, $$$$$
to rebuild, and raw water cooled, so of unknown condition in the water
passages) and is now being replaced.

Nearly everyone I've ever talked to about that engine said that using ether
caused premature wear (we're talking about a quick squirt -- not washing
down the cylinder walls here) in the engine.  I've never bought the story,
but also didn't have any facts to the contrary. . .so basically have always
kept my mouth shut.

Steve Dillen