Re: compressors at the track

To: Phil Ethier <pethier@isd.net>
Subject: Re: compressors at the track
From: dms@scheidt.chem.nd.edu
Date: Sat, 31 Aug 2002 02:50:06 -0500 (EST)
On Fri, 30 Aug 2002, Phil Ethier wrote:

> When I used to work at 3M Central Research, our building was plumbed with
> nitrogen.  It all came from the evaporation of a huge liquid-nitrogen tank
> in the corner of the building.  If you wanted dry nitrogen gas, you just
> opened the tap in your lab.  If you wanted liquid, you would take a dewar to
> the big tank and fill it.

Nitrogen provided from liquid boil off is pretty common in chemistry
buildings and such like -- anywhere the the gas usage isn't too high, and
the liquid is around anyway.  it's cheap, as long as the usage doesn't exceed
the loss of liquid that would occur anyways  by too much; then it gets
expensive quickly.

> I don't know what it costs to get a tank of liquid, but I seems to me that
> it would be pretty spendy to use for air tools.

Liquid nitrogen is cheap, from 20 cents (or less in huge quantities) to well
under a dollar a liter (a litre of LN weighs about 250  g,
bit more than .5 lb.) depending on quantity and purity.

David