compressors at the track

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: compressors at the track
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Fri, 30 Aug 2002 10:21:40 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

So I'm in the planning (dreaming?) stages of my pit setup for next year...

I'd like to have power and compressed air in my pit.  I have a 5hp, 30gal
(or so) portable compressor, either 110v or 220v that I can bring with me
if I need too.

So my question is... Am I better off (financially, otherwise?) to get a
generator big enough to run the compressor I already have, or should I get
a smaller/cheaper generator and a gas powered compressor (potentially
converting my existing one to a gas motor?).  The compressor doesn't have
to be much, mostly I want to be able to run an impact gun or two, air
ratchets, fill tires, etc.  I _don't_ have to have enough air to run
sanders or cutoff tools...

Ideally all this could live in a seperate comparment the full width of the
front of an enclosed trailer, with access doors on either side...

Related to that, I'll need to be powering stuff like tv's, computers, etc.
so I probably need some sorta line conditioning on the generator, right?

I've poked around on the web some, but haven't come up with anything
horribly usefull...

Thanks!

Mark