Trailer jockey

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Trailer jockey
From: "Wayne" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Tue, 20 Aug 2002 11:21:56 -0700
I have a 22' travel trailer and a 20' car trailer that because of fairly
frequent use and limited driveway space I find myself moving around
occasionally. This would not be a problem except that I live on a vary narrow
single lane private road that has a row of trees on the outboard side. My
extended cab truck has a rather long wheel base. The driveway in front of my
shop, while very wide, is also not very deep.

So, I was wondering if there was some sort of "trailer jockey" unit that would
allow easier positioning of said trailers. I thought about maybe just getting
another short wheelbase beater vehicle for this purpose but would rather not
take up yet more parking space for something that was going to be used 2 or 3
times a month.

Also thought about a small tractor but don't really have much other use for
one around the place. Thought about trying to use my riding lawnmower but
doubt it has the power, or the capacity to handle the tongue load, although
there is very little grade involved in these movements. Maybe a battery
powered stand up forklift but again, no other use for such a beast.

Or, maybe I could make something. Ideally this would be a walk behind unit,
easy to store when not in use and have a small foot print. Maybe electric over
hydraulic using hydraulic wheel motors with battery power. Or small lawnmower
engine with chain drive to the wheels. Not sure if this one would provide
enough control though.

Obviously this unit would have to take the tongue loads which are about ~700
lbs. if I recall correctly. I suspect the car trailer actually has a higher
tongue weight then the travel trailer. What with all the wheels and tires I
have in the tire rack. Possibly using a large swivel caster on the bottom of
the tongue jacks would help relieve some of this weight?

Anyway, thought I'd throw that out there for your ideas.

Wayne