Re: welder & glasses

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: welder & glasses
From: "TONY CLARK" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Sun, 11 Aug 2002 18:27:07 -0500
I had an exam for glasses this last week and had a chance to visit with the
optometrist while specing  (!) my new glasses:

I tested for bifocals and was prescribed with  +2.25 for the close vision and +
.75 for the distance portion.  Where I was educated was in the related
prescription for singlevision welding,reading,computing glasses I also ordered.
They were +2.75 and when I questioned why they differed from my bifocal numbers,
the doc told me that the bifocal numbers were cumulative, the bifocal would
actually test at 2.25 PLUS the .75 distance vision number for a total nearer to
3.00.   Soooooooooo, all these years, I'd been buying reading glasses off the
rack at less power than I actually needed . . . these 2.75s are great!

Tony