welder & glasses

To: "shop talk" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: welder & glasses
From: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>
Date: Wed, 07 Aug 2002 07:08:16 -0400
While we are on the subject of welding, helmits, and the
autodarkening lenses, I have a question.

I wear bifocals.  But when I weld, if I have my glasses on,
I can't see a thing, as I'm looking through the wrong lens.
Some have suggested getting a pair of reading glasses to
wear.  This sounds like a good idea, but how do I figure
out what power?  Should I get some that would allow me to
confortably read a book?  I don't know how far I should
be from the material I'm welding.

Currently, I just take my glasses off to weld.  But them I
really have to "eat" my work to be able to see.  I think my
eyes are about 20-200 corrected to 20-20.  I'm not sure
what the "close" lense is on my glasses.

What are the rest of you bifocal wearing guys doing?

John

        65 Rambler Classic

Morgan:    www.team.net/www/morgan
Bricklin:  www.bricklin.org