Re: welder & glasses

To: "John T. Blair" <jblair@exis.net>,
Subject: Re: welder & glasses
From: "Phil Ethier" <pethier@isd.net>
Date: Wed, 7 Aug 2002 19:48:11 -0500
> What are the rest of you bifocal wearing guys doing?

I hate bifocals.  Right now I am wearing a pair of safety glasses ground to
focus at arm's-length. They are also what I wear for home and car-shop
projects.

I wear similar glasses at work in my office job.  I can navigate the floor
without killing anyone, read paperwork on my desk, and comfortably view my
computer screen.  I may have a problem recognizing people at a distance.
I'm naturally nearsighted like you, so I can take the glasses off for
analyzing tiny, poorly-scratched numbers on sewer maps.

I suggest you see your eye doctor and tell him you need glasses just a bit
longer than reading glasses.  Don't be afraid to pantomime the kind of work
you do.  Then get safety glasses made up all in that grind, single-vision.
You will wonder how you ever got by without them.

You young guys will find out what we mean soon enough.

Phil Ethier  West Side  Saint Paul  Minnesota  USA
1970 Lotus Europa, 1992 Saturn SL2, 1986 Suburban, 1962 TR4 CT2846L
pethier@isd.net  http://www.mnautox.com/  http://www.vtr2002.org