Re:Re: welder

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re:Re: welder
From: "Mark J. Andy" <marka@telerama.com>
Date: Tue, 6 Aug 2002 10:29:01 -0400 (EDT)
Howdy,

On Mon, 5 Aug 2002, Steve Shipley wrote:
> My autodarkening helmet quit in less than a year.  The brand of the lens is
> Xelux. Yes, you want an auto darkening lens.  The next step up from the
> auto dark is the adjustable shade.  I have rotten vision so I find that the
> better I can see, the better I can weld.  I bought a Speedglas but the guy
> who told me how nice the adjustable shades are had a Miller that he really
> liked.  The Speedglas also has a sensitivity setting so that the auto dark
> can function properly under different ambient lighting.

That last bit would be what I'd like on my helmet.  I've got a Jackson
JourneyMan EQ (I think its called) which seemed to be the entry level
"real" auto darkening helmet a year or so ago.  Its adjustable shade as
well, with a pretty small viewport.

I like the helmet ok except for a couple things.  First, you _really_ want
the adjuster for the shade level where you can get to it easily.  On mine,
you have to take the lense half out, which is a total pain.  Second, the
helmet trips a bit too easily at times.  Flourescent lights or a bright
incadescent (like I spelled that correctly) will trip it, which can be a
pain when you're doing rollcage/chassis work like I've been doing.

That said, I used a friend's Speedglas and we had trouble using the
adjustments to get the helmet to trip correctly.  Perhaps that would go
away with some familarity.

I've actually been thinking about going to a non-auto darkening hood
because of some of this.  I might try it for a while and see how it goes.
Certainly if price is a factor the regular hoods are the way to go.  $30
at Lowe's get's you all you need.  Nice big viewport, no batteries to
worry about, etc.

Mark