Re:Re: welder

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re:Re: welder
From: "Nolan Penney" <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:10:43 -0400
I've been using the standard old fashioned non-auto shields for many
years now, and have no plans to switch to an auto darkening unit.  There
are several reasons for this.

With my old fashioned unit I set the tension correctly on the unit to
where it stays up, but with a nod of my head falls into place.  This
allows me to see what I'm doing very well, and without moving my hands
drop my shield in place.

By using an old fashioned unit I don't get flashed.  The auto-darkening
units have come a long way in their rapid response, but there is still a
time lag.  That is something I don't like.  It especially matters if I'm
doing many restarts, as I would get a flash from every restart.

The old fashioned units are light weight.  While the newer generation
of auto darkening shields are much lighter then their ancestors, they
still have a good bit of weight.  This matters to me when I'm spending
hours on my back holding my head up, or hanging head down.

Price is important, since I can buy good old fashioned units brand new
for under $20.  Cheap (junk) auto darkening units start at $99, and tend
not to get very good until your upwards of $300.

Repairs and adjustments of the old fashioned units are also very nice.
Changing filters and protective glass fronts takes but a minute, and is
cheap to do.