Re: welder

To: Nolan Penney <npenney@mde.state.md.us>
Subject: Re: welder
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 06 Aug 2002 11:48:11 -0400
Nolan Penney wrote:
> By using an old fashioned unit I don't get flashed.  The auto-darkening
> units have come a long way in their rapid response, but there is still a
> time lag.  That is something I don't like.  It especially matters if I'm
> doing many restarts, as I would get a flash from every restart.

   ...define "flash"?

   My auto darkening helmet is the typical low-end unit that is battery
powered, it cost a couple of hundred bucks at the time. It darkens in
1/25000th of a second according to the box. There is no trace of any
visible flash before it darkens, you never see any brightness when
using it. (except when the sensor gets covered in soot, but that's
a long story. ;>)

   There are also batteryless kinds that darken in 1/5000th of a
second at the same shop, which is slower but even that sounds
like it would be fast enough to avoid any visible flash...

> The old fashioned units are light weight.  While the newer generation
> of auto darkening shields are much lighter then their ancestors, they
> still have a good bit of weight.

   Again, I really disagree with this. The lens in my auto darkening
helmet weighs basically nothing, and the rest is just a normal helmet.

   Any difference in weight between my auto darkening helmet and my
others would just be down to design and style.

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca