Auto lift

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Auto lift
From: "Wayne" <w.farrington@verizon.net>
Date: Sat, 3 Aug 2002 12:09:52 -0700
I am beginning the research into a lift for my shop and thought I'd get some
input from you folks. I know it's been discussed quite a bit here in the past
but thought I would see if there are any new insights.

What I want is a two post lift with the "offset" posts that allow you to open
the doors when the car is on the lift. Most of the use will be for my 3300lb.
race car. Some for my wife's 3200lb. street car and possibly my 5486lb. pick
up. Although if there is a big price spread to go to 5486lbs. capacity I may
nix that idea. I realize I will probably have to poor footings as my floor is
only ~"4 thick.

Clearance numbers are as follows:
Door opening = 11' 7" wide by ~12' 4" tall.
Ceiling clearance with door open = 12' 4"
Ceiling clearance with door closed at lowest point near eaves = 13' 9"
Ceiling clearance with door closed at peak = 17' 2"
Lowest ceiling height if I were to back the truck into the bay = 14' 5"
(approx. where the rear of the cap would end up if truck is backed in).
Truck height at rear of cap = 7'
Truck height at cab = 6' 4"
Car height = don't know, hopefully not going to be an issue.

So, those of you who have installed a lift or researched the same. What are
your key learning's? What would you do different if you could do it all over
again? Lift recommendations? Mfg. websites?

Thanks
Wayne