Re: Auto lift

To: w.farrington@verizon.net, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Auto lift
From: McVintage@aol.com
Date: Sun, 4 Aug 2002 22:47:36 EDT
w.farrington@verizon.net writes:

> those of you who have installed a lift or researched the same. What are
> your key learning's? What would you do different if you could do it all over
> again? Lift recommendations?

Hello Wayne
I installed an Eagle 5,000 lb asymmetric 2-post lift which i am very happy
with and would reccomend except that Eagle no longer lists a lift that small.

Some unexpected things i learned along the way:
a)  installing a lift at home has improved my personality and made me
better looking (i.e i'm becoming more popular in local club.)
b) getting an asymmetric lift doesn't neccesarily mean you can put the
vehicle's doors clear of the posts - depends more on length of lift arms
and location of lift points on vehicle in question. For instance I've found
location of my TR6 perfect whereas other people's Spitfires (i told you
i'm more popular now) are much farther forward between the posts due
to a difference in location of lift points.
c) height isn't as important as i thought - i can get the car high enough
to walk under it, but i rarely put it that high - usually work underneath
seated on a stool with rollers  - very easy mobility that way.
d) while changing oil with car up in the air its pretty darn easy to
accidentally dump 4 1/2 quarts of warm motor oil down my leg into my shoe.

Cheers
Jack Mc