Re: Blast cabinets

To: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Subject: Re: Blast cabinets
From: Trevor Boicey <tboicey@brit.ca>
Date: Tue, 30 Apr 2002 18:36:58 -0400
Randall Young wrote:

> The ones I'm familiar with actually forced the air through the oil, with
> essentially a large vertical separator afterwards to remove most of the oil
> droplets.
>
> I found a diagram at
> http://www.tpub.com/engine3/en32-4.htm
> (scroll to the bottom).  It does not show the oil level clearly, but it
> would be above the level of the intake tube that runs down the center.  The
> air bubbles through the oil, then enters the outer section, packed with wire
> mesh, where the oil separates and runs back down.  Any small amount of oil
> that gets carried out just acts as top cylinder lube ...

  I did see that site, but from the picture and description, that
is the more typical oil bath filter I am used to and as used on
early LBCs.

  The reading talks about centrifugal force which forces the
dirt into the oil at the bottom of the can, basically the larger
dirt can't make the corner fast enough and splats into the oil. The
smaller dirt is picked up by the gauze.

  It also mentions not to overfill the oil, or it will get
sucked into the engine.

  With the amount of air going through an engine, I'd
be very eager to see any bubbling-through-oil system that
could actually stop the engine from swallowing the bulk
of the oil. (especially with the viscosity of oil which
doesn't easily pass air!)

--
Trevor Boicey, P. Eng.
Ottawa, Canada, tboicey@brit.ca