RE: Parts washer?

To: <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: Parts washer?
From: "Mullen, Tim" <Tim.Mullen@trw.com>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 12:09:09 -0400
LBC286@aol.com [mailto:LBC286@aol.com] wrote:

> I hate this disposable society we live in.  I remember the days when you
> could get things fixed!  (Or fix them yourself.)

Me too.  I fix things whenever I can.  My son went off to college with
a vacuum cleaner that I brought home from a walk around the block.  Took
a 99 cent plug for the cord and a cleaning to put it back into operation.

I'm forever finding bicycles and such waiting for the trash trucks - usually
they would just need a few parts ($5 tire and $3 brake cable) to fix them
up (and no, I don't have time or room to do the fixing).

Recently spent about $50 fixing my wife's 20 year old mixer, when I could
have bought a new one on sale for about the same price (but the old one was
all metal and higher quality than the new one).

However, sometimes things just aren't worth fixing.  Last week I "killed" my
lawn mower by hitting a chunk of metal and bending the crank.  A new motor
was about $230, a short block was $158 (and it needed at least $50 of other
parts to bring it up to snuff).  Hard to justify repairing it, when my new
mower cost $210 - and it's a LOT better with twice the power...

But I still don't like throwing things away...  Any one need a 7 year old
lawn mower with a bent crank?

Tim Mullen

Chantilly, VA