Re: Parts washer?

To: LBC286@aol.com
Subject: Re: Parts washer?
From: Bullwinkle <yd3@nvc.net>
Date: Thu, 25 Apr 2002 10:54:14 -0600
Allen:

<<<snip>>>
I hate this disposable society we live in.  I remember the days when you
could get things fixed!  (Or fix them yourself.)
<<<snip>>>
Amen!

I recently repaired the diff on a riding mower.  One axle ($27) and the
bush it runs on ($14) plus tax.  The 'axle' is a 3/4 rod keyed on one
end for wheel and splined on the other for the gear with circlip cuts on
both ends.  The 'bush' was an odd size that I couldn't find locally.
The price of the bush really was outragous.  The whole diff unit is
$65.  That bush cost me more than a simple telephone.  Go figure.

The same is true of the mower's engine.  A proper rebuild costs more
than a new one from Harbor Freight.

Blake