RE: Parts washer?

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: RE: Parts washer?
From: Randall Young <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>
Date: Wed, 24 Apr 2002 16:15:46 -0700
> Harbor Freight has a 20 gal. washer with heavy duty pump and a fuse-link
> cover for $139.99 incl. shipping.
> At www.homier.com I found a 20 gal. washer with a fuse-link cover
> for $69.99.
>  It weighs 4 lbs more than the H.F. model, but doesn't list a heavy duty
> pump.  (It lists the pump as "UL listed electric magnetic"
> WOO-HOO!)  I don't
> know what the shipping charges will be on 59 lbs.

I have what I believe is the same thing, looks exactly like the one at HF,
but without the 'heavy duty' pump.  Came with 5 gal of solvent and a
hose/brush to connect to the solvent outlet.  The pump lasted about a year,
maybe 10 uses total, before the supplied solvent apparently attacked the
plastic parts of the pump and ruined it.

I've been planning to re-engineer it with an external solvent
reservoir/settling tank, and one of those cheap drill-motor driven pumps,
but that project is currently way, way down on my priorities.  I don't know
for a fact that the drill-driven pump will last any longer (they're rated
for use only with water), but I've used one in the past with good success
(probably 100 uses over a 2 year period and still going), plus it's easy and
cheap to replace.

Another big problem with my parts washer is that the lid doesn't seal worth
a durn and the solvent evaporates.  I'm hoping the external tank will solve
that problem.

Randall