Re: was Prepping a floor, Now lifting beam

To: JNiolon@uss.com
Subject: Re: was Prepping a floor, Now lifting beam
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Apr 2002 16:05:01 -0400
I have an I beam across my garage.  It's not there for the purpose you
describe, it's there to hold the rest of the house up!  I've considered
putting a trolley on it for engines, etc, but I haven't convinced myself
that this is all that desirable.  With this setup, I will only be able to
lift and move in one line, which may not be all that convenient.  With a
portable engine crane, I can move anywhere in the shop I want.  I can move
the crane in and out from the car to convince an engine to go where it
should.  The design you are talking about moves in an arc.  I don't exactly
get this, but it still seems that an old fashioned engine crane would have
more flexibility.  Am I missing something here?

-Steve