Re: Plumbing question #1

To: <LBC286@aol.com>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: Plumbing question #1
From: "Stan Fickes" <fickes@acm.org>
Date: Wed, 5 Dec 2001 11:01:13 -0500
I sweated many brass ball valves into my plumbing when I redid the house.
(it used to be a mix of copper, iron and lead) Had no problems, but made
sure to use a steel brush cleaner (looks like a car battery terminal brush)
on all the female connections, and sandpaper on all the male ends. Then flux
everything up well. If you got the valve hot enough to melt solder on the
outside, did the solder stick or just drip off? It has to be hot enough to
stick. Also, it helps to have open faucets in the line so you don't build
pressure in the line which can blow the solder out. Also better if there is
no water in the line, for the same reason.

It sounds like it's not hot enough to me too. I use a MAPP torch instead of
propane, can't get enough heat from propane to do it in a reasonable time.

Good luck!
sf