Hot water radiant heat

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Hot water radiant heat
From: "Steve Budde" <super_racenut@hotmail.com>
Date: Wed, 07 Nov 2001 03:19:47
Hi all,
I'm back to the panel of experts that seem the have a correct answer for
everything (eventually) :^)  My question is about hot water heat.  There is
a valve (somewhere) in the pipe circuit that allows fresh water to enter the
system automatically.  When I bleed the air out of the radiators why do I
have to wait for the furnace to cycle several times to build enough pressure
to get all the air out??  Shouldn't I just open the valve in the radiator
and the water pressure in the pipe (from heated water) push the air out of
that radiator until the pressure drops to nothing, then the fresh water
valve should open and let water in until pressure is restored??  Isn't this
how it is supposed to work or am I assuming too much??
Next question, the previous owner moved a radiator from one room to the
newly (then) enclosed back porch.  This radiator has never in the past 33
years had pressure in it.  It gets hot,  I assume this is by osmosis(?)
heating of all the water in the system rather than any flow (it is supposed
to flow isn't it?) but it seems to always have a vacuum in it.  I fill it by
opening the vavle and placing a small hose in a bucket of water until the
radiator is full.  I realize that this isn't right but the current owner (my
father) is of the opinion that if it gets hot it's good enough.  I need to
know more about how it's supposed to work.  Any book or web site suggestions
will be greatly appreciated.

Steve Budde
mailto:super_racenut@hotmail.com
NSSCC #48 AutoX EM