Re: Another electrical question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another electrical question
From: JackiHarry@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 19:37:27 EST
>Finally, my question.  I just want to make sure, so I don't make any
>misteaks.  If I use 20 amp breakers, I should be using 12 g. wire, correct?
>Also, how many outlets should be on a breaker?  I don't want to overload the
>circuits, although I will only be able to use one or two tools at a time,
and
>I'm sure there are guidelines for this.  I am not an electrician, but I have
>a good basic knowledge here.

I also have no idea what the actual code is, I only know the principles
behind them.

It should make no difference how many outlets there are, just how much
current is being drawn.  Although it's easy to overload the circuit if there
are too many outlets on the same circuit; what we have had at my work is
every other outlet is on alternate circuit (on the same phase for each bench,
so it would not have 220 from outlet to outlet)
what is more important is terms of dropping voltage is to not have too much
length in any one run, or else use heavier wire. (I don't know actual
guidelines, if any, but my feeling is over 150-200 feet from junction box to
last outlet should be at least a couple of guage sides larger) also, use the
screw terminals on the outlets if daisy chaining outlets!  I also don't know
if electrical code complains about using heavier wire w/ smaller breakers (ie
say 10ga for 20A for long runs)
And yes, 12ga is MINIMUM thickness for 20A, 14ga minimum for 15A, I believe
it's 30A for 10ga & 50A for 8ga, but I'm not positive.

I have to say that even 1/4" plywood behind sheetrock makes a huge difference
on not pocking holes in it!  For a garage that might have 500w lamps or
welding/torches used in it, I would usee that to cover the walls, for fire
resistance, if required or not.

Good luck!  sounds like fun, once it's done.

Scott M Ryan

///