Re: Another electrical question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another electrical question
From: Mike Sloane <msloane@att.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 12:44:20 -0500
I would add a caveat to your caveat, Mark. In most parts of the country,
the drywall is not considered fireproof for insurance/code purposes
unless it is at least 5/8"(?) and taped and spackled. And I suspect that
if this is an attached garage, that will be required in any case. For
detached structures, many folks use OSB ("Aspenite") as a wall, but it
will not hold nails/screws very well either. But it is lighter and
tougher than drywall.

Mike

jmark.vanscoter@amd.com wrote:

> There is one caveat I will add to your comment: " I have heard that wood
>paneling is better in a garage than drywall, and putting it up with screws
>allows easy access later, if necessary."
>
> That certainly is the norm for a woodworking shop, but if you are dealing
>with flames or heat (torch, welders, grinder, etc.) is would screw 5/8"
>drywall over the plywood. Do not tape or over the screws, leave it so it could
>removed.
>
> The advantage of the plywood walls is that you can not easily poke a hole in
>it, and you can attach shelves, etc., anywhere.
>
> Placing the thick drywall over it dramatically increases the fire resistance.
>With the wood still underneath, it is still difficult to punch holes in the
>wall, and you can still install shelves, etc.
>
> Mark V.S. in Austin, TX

Mike Sloane
Allamuchy NJ
(msloane@att.net)
<http://home.att.net/~msloane>
<http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumList?u=204428>

"For a list of all the ways technology has failed to improve
the quality of life, please press 3." --Alice Kahn

///