Re: Another electrical question

To: LBC286@aol.com, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another electrical question
From: Steven Trovato <trovato@computer.net>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 16:02:06 -0500
According to "Electrical Wiring Residential" based on the 1999 national
electrical code (Note, the code is typically updated every three years):

"The NEC does not specify the maximum number of receptacle outlets or
lighting outlets that may be connected to one 120 volt lighting or small
appliance branch circuit in a residence.  It may seem to be ridiculous and
illogical that 10, 20 or more receptacle outlets and lighting outlets can
be connected to one branch-circuit and not be in violation of the
Code.  Consider the fact, however that having many "convenience"
receptacles is "safer" because many receptacle outlets will virtually
eliminate the use of extension cords, one of the most frequent causes of
electrical fires.  Rarely, if ever, would all receptacle outlets and
lighting outlets be fully loaded at the same time.  There is much diversity
of load in residential occupancies."

They then go on to give an example of determining the number of outlets on
one circuit by assigning 1 to 1.5 amperes to each outlet.  Thus a 15 amp
circuit gets 10 to 15 outlets.

Finally, they warn that local building codes may specify a maximum number
of outlets per circuit, so you should check local codes before planning any
circuits.

-Steve Trovato

>Also, how many outlets should be on a breaker?  I don't want to overload the
>circuits, although I will only be able to use one or two tools at a time, and
>I'm sure there are guidelines for this.  I am not an electrician, but I have
>a good basic knowledge here.

///