Re: Another electrical question

To: martins@efn.org, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another electrical question
From: LBC286@aol.com
Date: Thu, 1 Nov 2001 13:46:27 EST
In a message dated 11/1/01 12:00:21 PM Eastern Standard Time, martins@efn.org
writes:

> Our electrical code requires outlets in the garage to be protected by GFI
> circuitry, unless it's a dedicated outlet.
>
> You can use outlets rated at 15 amp on a 20 amp circuit, as long as there
> is more than one outlet.  A dedicated 20 amp circuit with only one outlet
> must use a 20 amp outlet.
>
> > I will put the compressor on it's own breaker and split the lights up on
> two
> > or three breakers.
>
> How big is the gargage; how many light fixtures?  You might get by with
> one breaker for lighting.

- - - - - - - - - - - -

I had planned on using GFCI outlets in the garage and shop.

The building is detached from the house and is two rooms, 20' X 30' garage
and a shop.  Only one or two existing lights work now, so I will probably
just replace everything.  The existing flourescent fixtures have been
outfitted with plugs, and there are outlets mounted everywhere, so they could
plug in the lights they needed!  It will all be ripped out and I will go thru
the hardware and wire to see if any of it can be reused.

I will use at least one breaker per room for lighting, and maybe split a
third so it lights both rooms.  If I blow one, I will still have some light.
Circuits are cheep.

Thanks for all the info.  It will be very helpful.

Allen Hefner
Philly Region SCCA Rally Steward
'77 MG Midget
'92 Mitsubishi Expo LRV Sport