Re: Another electrical question

To: shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Another electrical question
From: Joe Flake <flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com>
Date: Thu, 01 Nov 2001 13:29:21 EST
> Also, how many outlets should be on a breaker?  I don't want to overload the
> circuits, although I will only be able to use one or two tools at a time, and
> I'm sure there are guidelines for this.

I'm sure code has something to say about a max number of outlets,
but it comes down to the 20 amp total you're limiting things to
via the breaker.

One or two tools at a time sounds reasonable up front, but I always
get caught with "extra" things:
        -Shop vac while using saw or router
        -500w halogen light to help my eyes on close work
        -Dehumidifier and fan to make my basement more comfortable
        -Chargers for a bunch of different rechargable things

So I'd suggest multiple circuits if possible.

> split the lights up on two
> or three breakers.

Multiple circuits for lights is good.  My basement shop only has the
original (ie non "shop") wiring, with lights and outlets on the same
breaker.  I've tripped the breaker several times with the table saw,
and it's downright scary holding really still while the saw spins
down in the dark!  (This is on my priority list to fix, but just isn't
done yet.)

Too many projects, not enough time...

Joe
flake@a3115jmf.atl.hp.com