Re: building a shop

To: "Shop" <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: building a shop
From: "Elton Clark" <lotus.tony@airmail.net>
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 23:48:19 -0500
A comment on shop heating and a/c:

Give a think to the time you'll actually spend in the shop . .   If you are
like me and want to be able to work in the shop at random times for random
durations,  consider  an "overkill" on your heating and air conditioning.
I can get my 1800 foot shop "comfy" in about 20 minutes regardless of
whether the outside temp is 32 degrees or 100 degrees.  I have a 130,000 btu
gas-fired Modine overhead heater and a 6 ton Rheem a/c unit, a "take-out"
which I was given by a buddy in the business.  The surprise is the low
operating cost.  Since I'm only there about 70 - 80 hours a month, the a/c
cost is only about a fifth the cost of the 700 hours I operate the 3 ton a/c
in my 2200 foot home.  Both systems result in dry air . . . I have bare
metal all over the shop that stays bright and unrusted for years.  One must
have to keep a radiant floor system going all the time . . it's gotta take
_forever_ to get the whole slab warm and hence the shop.

Tony_______________________@Sherman.Texas
    where it's always either summer or winter, fall was last Thursday.

///