Re: building a shop

To: "Rex Burkheimer - WM" <rex@txol.net>
Subject: Re: building a shop
From: epetrevich@relavis.com
Date: Wed, 17 Oct 2001 11:37:18 -0400
FWIW, I'm putting a shop in now.  It's 35'x65' (14' eaves)and it is
connection to an existing 20x30 2 floor garage.

I'm going with the metal building.  It will be about $60k when it's done.
It will be insulated.  This includes 2 12x12 overhead door openings (the
doors are $1200 a piece) and 2 man doors.  full floating slab.

Should be quite a project.   (the $60 price is "soup to nuts" including
ground prep, materials, construction, etc)

I'll be doing the electrical myself so not of that is in that price.  (I
running a 200 amp service with 3 phase)

Also, I'll have "sleeves" in the slab for plumbing, but I don't plan to
plum anytime soon.

inch

                    "Rex Burkheimer -

                    WM" <rex@txol.net>          To:     "Richard Welty"
<rwelty@suespammers.org>,
                    Sent by:                    <shop-talk@autox.team.net>

                    shop-talk-owner@auto        cc:

                    x.team.net                  Subject:     Re: building a
shop

                    10/17/01 09:46 AM

                    Please respond to

                    "Rex Burkheimer -

                    WM"

I'm currently getting bids on a garage building. Bought a house with no
garage on 1 acre, but between the trees and the slop etc I have only room
for a 25x40 building, basically a 4-car garage.  (2-2-4 house!)
For just a slab and a dry shell, I'm getting prices of $10,500 for metal,
$20K for framed w/wood siding, 30K to add a 2nd floor.
   This is  without electrical or plumbing or any other interior finish
out.
The 20K sure seems high to me. I'm still getting bids, but I'm also
considering tackling the framing myself.

> i'm figuring on 1200 sq. ft. to 1500 sq. ft.

With 6.5 acres I'd at least double this. A 40x60 steel building doesn't
cost
that much, and you will be thankful for the additional room in a very short
time.

> this is upstate NY, just outside of albany; winter is a consideration.

Radiant heat tubes in the foundation (PEK tubing).
Solar panel(s) augmented by a hot water heater.

>power
200-amp panel

>lighting
LOTS!  Watch for used fixtures starting now.  If money is no object, I'd
try
to get the fixtures and bulbs that they use in body shops for full-spectrum
natural lighting.

> flooring
Painted concrete slab. epoxy

>storage
Loft over half. Expanded metal floor so it will not accumulate dirt.
Be sure the sidewalls are at least 12-ft so it will accomodate a loft on
one
side and a lift on the other.

///