Re: Wood stove for shop

To: "Timothy R. Hoerning" <hoerni@cooper.edu>, shop-talk@autox.team.net
Subject: Re: Wood stove for shop
From: "Phil Ethier"<pethier@isd.net>
Date: Mon, 15 Oct 2001 18:12:29 GMT
>On Sat, 13 Oct 2001, Phil Ethier wrote:
>
>> The first thing you may find is that wood heat in a car shop is prohibited.

>> It is where I live.
>
>       Why is a wood stove prohibited?  What makes it more dangerous that any
>other exposed flame heat?

Dunno.  With gas or oil heaters in garages, burner must be at least 18 inches
from the floor. 18 inches to be measured from the bottom of the burner
enclosure.

>And why only in car shops?

The ordinance says "garage", which is defined as any space containing an
automobile.
 If you have a car in your shop, it's a garage for the purposes of this law.
 The powers that be got tired of people burning down their garages and decided
to "just say no".  I don't know much about the rules governing wood heat in
non-garage environments.

Phil Ethier

///