Re: Finding a vacuum leak

To: James Babcock <jbabcoc@yahoo.com>
Subject: Re: Finding a vacuum leak
From: Stuart MacMillan <macmillan@home.com>
Date: Tue, 08 May 2001 15:54:01 -0700
I've use the propane method many times, and I've only gotten a few
"pops" when it pools someplace and decides to go off.  Just a little
flow from your unlit torch is enough, and only test small areas before
stopping to let the gas dissipate.

It is not always vacuum lines that are the culprits.  I've found intake
gasket  leaks, cracked intake manifolds and carbs, and worn throttle
shafts causing leaks.

It's best to find and fix what is broken, IMHO, shotgun repairs get
expensive and don't always fix the problem.
--
Stuart MacMillan
Seattle

'84 Vanagon Westfalia w/2.1
'65 MGB (Daily driver since 1969)
'74 MGB GT (Restoring sloooowly)

Personal mechanic for:
'70 MGB GT (Daughter's)

Assisting on Restoration (and spending OPM):
'72 MGB GT (Was daughter's, now son's)
'64 MGB (Son's)

Stripped and gone but their parts live on:
'68 MGB, '73 MGB, '67 MGB GT

///