Re: Nut and bolt storage

To: wmgilroy@avaya.com
Subject: Re: Nut and bolt storage
From: Douglas Shook <shook@usc.edu>
Date: Tue, 06 Feb 2001 09:05:57 -0800
"William M. Gilroy" wrote:

- snip -
> The have a product called "1,097-Piece Heavy Duty Bolt & Nut Center"
> I don't really care about the nuts but does that type of storage
> solution
> work well for nuts & bolts.  It is 40 plastic (metal would be better)
> open bins that you can hang on a wall.

Hi Bill,

I ordered the same set from HF, and ended up sending it back.
The plastic boxes were poorly shaped and did not fit well. They
would not stay stacked up without tipping over and falling down
and dumping out the parts.

The bolts and nuts were Chinese and of low quality (washers were
mis-stamped, I doubt that they were grade 5) -- the whole thing
was just plain cheap and low quality. Even the configuration is
poorly thought out and consumes a great deal of wall or shelf
space.  The compartments are open so they will collect all the
dust and debris floating around, so you will need to clean the
bolts before you can use them.

After sending it back, I ordered a nut and bolt set from
McMaster-Carr.  It came in a very nice, heavy-duty metal storage
case (it looks like an attache case, you can stand in on edge,
slide it under a shelf and all the bolts and washers stay in
their own compartments. (product # 91340a111 on page 2764 of
catalog #106) -- I am certain you can find it on their web page,
too.

The bolts are US and grade 5.  The fit and finish are top drawer.
There is no comparison to the junk I got from HF (it looks like
the exact same product as Northern).

The down side, there are only 710 pieces and it costs $89.56 for
fine thread or $85.03 for course (for LBC, you probably will want
the fine thread). The size only ranges from 1/4" - 3/8", just
about perfect for LBC.  You also can go with grade 8 for $137.45,
but that probably is over-kill for LBC work.

The range on the cheap Chinese stuff usually goes up to some very
large sizes you might need for truck repair, but in reality, you
probably will never use.

For me (British cars, motorcycles and general shop use), this kit
has been perfect. Whenever I need a nut, bolt or washer, it is a
treat to be able to pull out the case and grab a clean, high
quality item out of that case -- it is well organized, clearly
marked, quick and convenient.  McMaster also sells nuts, bolts,
washers of specific sizes in reasonable lots to replenish the
trays once you have used them.

regards,

doug

///