Re: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?

To: "Randall Young" <ryoung@NAVCOMTECH.COM>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: Re: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?
From: Richard George <rkg@teleport.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:17:54 -0800
Hi,

I second this - I put in a 100 amp sub panel when I did my garage, and have
been wanting more ever since (I got a tig welder, they recommended going to
an 80-100 amp breaker to prevent nuisance tripping, and...) - I believe the
installation costs are very little for the bigger panel, and are truly
negligable when compared to the cost of having a 200 amp service put in
later...  The other thing to be sure of is that he gets the biggest panel he
can find - they don't cost much more, but there's lots more room for
breakers/wiring (after having to work on adding yet another sub panel to a
full split panel box (while hot!), I can attest to how great this is...

Heck, I'd recommend 3 phase if he can get it, but I don't know if you can get
3 phase woodworking tools readily (it would seem that somebody would want
lighter, smoother running motors for, but I digress...)

suffering from shop envy,
rkg
(Richard George)

[This message delayed, as it needed manual intervention by the list
administrator.  mjb.]

///
///