RE: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?

To: "Lee Daniels" <daniels@tamu.edu>, <shop-talk@autox.team.net>
Subject: RE: 100- or 200-amp service for shop?
From: "Paul F Mele" <Paul.Mele@usermail.com>
Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2001 12:34:00 -0500
-----Original Message-----
From: shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net
[mailto:shop-talk-owner@autox.team.net]On Behalf Of Lee Daniels
Sent: Friday, January 12, 2001 11:00 AM
To: 'shop-talk@autox.team.net'
Just ask Captain Kirk...."Scotty...I've got to have more power!"

Lights: 20-80A (i ahve 40A worth of fluoresc in my 23x23...I like a lot of
light!)
compressor: 20A
table saw: 14A
radial saw: 10A
dust collect: 14A
Heat: 30-100A
Cool: same
Radio: 0.5A

easily over 100A, never mind excess currnt draw at startup of motors

Paul

This question is from a friend... I wish it were from me!  He just built
a 60x40 shop (professionally-installed insulated metal building) and is
getting ready to bring the power in from the pole.  The utility company
asked whether he wanted 100- or 200-amp service (I assume that this is
at 220V).  He doesn't use heavy equipment --- he mostly does restoration
work on antique furniture.  What's the scoop?

thanks -Lee

   Lee M. Daniels         Laboratory for Molecular Structure and Bonding
   daniels@tamu.edu                                 Texas A&M University
   http://acs.tamu.edu/~lmd1191

///
///